Feb 5  |  Quantifying

Posted by , February 5th, 2013 at 4:12PM

Making is sexy.  Building, forming, shaping, creating.  There’s romance in that.

IMG_2270

Planning, researching, and documenting, however…  These things, I would wager, do not hold the same appeal for most.

IMG_2269

I love putting numbers to things, though.  I love the attempt to quantify.  I love using calipers and scales; writing things down; building folder structures; storing away pdfs, models, drawings, and notes.  I love creating confidence that bits and pieces will fit together as intended not just on part #001, but on #002 through #999 as well.

IMG_2268

99.9% of my job involves bicycles in no way at all.  I’m a mechanical engineer contractor/consultant, and I work in any industry that wants me.  There’s not a lot of intrinsic excitement in, say, weatherproof housings for power transmission equipment, or fast food menu display monitors.  The numbers make it all interesting, though.  The numbers make it worth doing.   On the rare occasion I get to mix the tools of my trade – CAD software, calculator tricks, E2 paper, math love - and bikes, it really seems like things can get no better.

XOXO,

Tiny

1. Any advice for mechanical engineers looking to work on bikes?

Comment by Tom — February 6, 2013 @ 10:19 am

2. I wish I had some! Honestly, I never looked, when I was job hunting. I’m guessing that blasting out envelopes full of resumes, glitter, cookies, and cash bribes would probably be the best bet!

Comment by The Tiniest Sprinter — February 6, 2013 @ 3:20 pm

3. There seems to be a resurgence in folks doing it themselves. The DIY movement is huge and growing everyday. From objects made with 3D printers to BAMBOO bicycles it seems everyone is making something. Is it a backlash against the conformity and mediocrity of WALMART bought items? Or just “SEXY”? WHO CARES!!!!

Comment by Carl — February 7, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

4. E2 paper with bicycle diagrams on on them! Two of my favorite things together and don’t think that I missed the theta_1 and theta_2 for added spice. Now I just need to convince someone that they would make legitimate wall decorations.

Comment by David — February 14, 2013 @ 9:42 am

5. making is sexy. steel rules are sexy, engineer’s pads are sexy, calipers are sexy, raw brass brazing is sexy, hell even the grain on that desk top is sexy. KEEP MAKING!

Comment by chris tree — February 19, 2013 @ 1:40 am