Jan 24  |  It’s really happening

Posted by , January 24th, 2012 at 12:20AM

In any given run of Speedvagen, there is about 3 months of prep time before the welding torch is finally ignited.

During the prep phase we are gathering info from owners-to-be, fitting those who are going custom, designing the bikes, ordering materials from 12 different vendors, preparing the worksheets that we follow during the build,  800 miters, thousands of email, millions of sandwiches, endless soft rock, all leading up to a handful of glorious days. These, my friends are those days.

Mike Desalvo, ladies

Top tubes mitered, fit-up, tagged, cleaned up and coralled

Top tubes should be in by the end of the day tomorrow. What else would you like to see?

1. I can see part of the tubing for me. Might I suggest some pics during the painting process?

Comment by Mitchell — January 24, 2012 @ 12:51 am

2. this is all very exciting! i hope there continues to be more photographs of these incredible days ahead. i can almost hear the sounds of the workshop..!

Comment by ricardo jesus-wilson — January 24, 2012 @ 7:39 am

3. I would love to see the calfee battery that will go in the seat mast for Di2. Here’s hoping you figure out the engineering for this batch. You guys just made many people’s day (including me). How about some close ups of the joints. Are the joints spot welded then filet brazed later?

Comment by Scott Hopkins — January 24, 2012 @ 9:26 am

4. What is up with the seat tubes nubs? Carbon insert?

Comment by Matt — January 24, 2012 @ 9:39 am

5. I would like to see Scott get a haircut. Fuggin hippy!

Comment by Kevin Spizarrow — January 24, 2012 @ 9:51 am

6. I want videos! just short clips shot well.

Comment by Simon — January 24, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

7. more Wams…

Comment by ghost — January 24, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

8. Sweeeeeet! Any and all pics are appreciated. Thanks.

Comment by Jay — January 24, 2012 @ 5:02 pm

9. Hey Matt,

Yes, the short sockets are for carbon seat tubes. Both the BB/ST socket and the smaller one that’s attached to the TT/SS’s are precision ground on the ends to taper to .2mm for minimal transition from Steel to carbon. The BB/St sleeve has additional butting, so it tapers from .7 at the bb to .4 in the middle and then tapers at the end to .2mm. Also, Enve is making some externally butted carbon tubes for us that are thicker in the stressed (and steel reinforced) areas and thin in the rest of the tube.

-Sacha

Comment by Sacha — January 24, 2012 @ 9:13 pm

10. Yes you may. We’ll get ‘em.

Comment by Sacha — January 24, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

11. Calfee battery? I’m a Di2 build so I’m curious how that works out with the integrated mast.

Comment by Scott P. — January 25, 2012 @ 9:34 am

12. Gents,

The integrated battery is in the works, but won’t be on these bikes. Unless you want to… wait………………………

No, I don’t know how long. :)

Comment by Sacha — January 25, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

13. Could you retrofit the Calfee battery at a later date?

Comment by Scott Hopkins — January 25, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

14. I thought I had read somewhere on velocipede that there was a new option for paint where you get a solid color (no pinstriping or other details), but then get the laser-cut/carbon head tube option, it looks like the frames in the 5th picture have the laser-cut head tube . How many bikes in this batch are going with that option (if it is actually an option?)

Comment by tylernol — January 26, 2012 @ 12:15 pm

15. oooohhh lordy. I want streaming video, Vagen-cam. (warning, do not do a search for “vagen-cam”)

These images are amazing. I would love to see some good shots of options or custom tweaks that make each bike it’s own piece. Maybe the two most divergent geometries, the prep for the carbon seat mast, any of that stuff would be cool.

Keep up the good work, fellas.
    Brad