Aug 9  |  Seventeen Days

Posted by , August 9th, 2010 at 11:24PM

Blue accent stripes laid down on the celerys today…

Speaking of Airbriushed palm trees and freehand Speedvagen text, I have this idea to do some surprise me schemes totally freehand carney-airbrushing-a-teeshirt style paint job complete with starbursts coming off of the corners of the shield and the unicorn horn.

So here’s the question: If you were getting a Speedvagen and you went with the Surprise Me option and you unpacked the box and all of the multi color striping work, Speedvagen text, shields, etc. were done totally free-hand and in full (probably pastel) rainbow spectrum how would you react? For me it is rad and ridiculous. I would be excited to see it, I would race the shit out of it and I would cherish it as something that no one had done, or probably would ever do on a high end race bike. I also would appreciate that Speedvagen did it because the juxtaposition is the embodiment of SVlosophy (Don’t know if I’ll use that one again…)

What do you think?

xoxo,

1. Carni-style freehand pastel airbrush chaos? If it’s wandering towards the graffiti end of the spectrum with bubble letters or tagging styled fonts I’ll beg that you reconsider. I live in a city where vandalism is celebrated by suburban women in big hats who drive prius’s as the high art of the underprivilaged. To me it just means another Saturday wasted repainting the scribble on the side of the house instead of racing. If it’s more like the original O’neill or Op pastel airbrushes with a nod towards carni-diculous embelishment and garishness, I’m all in. I guess having chosen Surprise Me I’m all in no matter what happens. Ah, just send me a bike. The wait is killing me.

Comment by SpeedWUgen — August 11, 2010 @ 12:57 am

2. I think it would be radical!

Comment by Steve — August 11, 2010 @ 4:42 am

3. I’m feeling this. Been spending a lot of time in the south. Think seer sucker pants , cotton candy, and Gitman plaid. NASCAR Pink is easy how bout orange and blues. Light red picnic table cloth. Strong mustachioed barbell man. Damn that carney took my money again and again when I was 7!

Comment by Patrick — August 11, 2010 @ 4:49 am

4. I will ride and love my Surprise me no matter what. A design you’re excited about is the first sign it’s good. My one concern is that it ends up veering too close to gimmick or novelty bike (like the Specialized bikes done up with a aircraft motif) and those tend to not age well. The artistic nature of the freehand work is cool, but carny script and pastel colors on top of that maybe be a bit too much? Each element in itself is cool, but will they work together?

But I way over-think things. Seeing I bought TWO SV bikes this year, I hope its clear I totally buy in to the SV design and premise. Also, I checked the surprise me box knowing that I am giving you carte blanche to do something you think is cool. Cross is especially crazy, painful, aggressive, fun and dirty- and I am looking forward to doing it on whatever you send me.

Comment by Eric Fletcher — August 11, 2010 @ 5:00 am

5. you should totally do it. Anyone who does SM should be in for an adventure.

Comment by tyler — August 11, 2010 @ 5:48 am

6. ahhh, well, ahhh…[insert awkward pause]…

Is it too late to change my paint scheme to Celery?

Comment by Dario — August 11, 2010 @ 7:26 am

7. I thought these were supposed to be race bikes. No disrespect, but when did it turn into a paint job contest?

Comment by Jonathan — August 11, 2010 @ 8:56 am

8. carni-freehand sounds perfect to me.

Comment by Noel — August 11, 2010 @ 9:10 am

9. Great idea in the “and now for something completely different” line of thought. Repeating past success is repeating yourself, not succeeding. My only qualification on the endorsement of the idea is this: having amassed enough laps around the sun to have worn the Op shirts, shorts and swim trunks that are at least part of the history of this idea, I would hope that the graphics are done sincerely, and not ironically. That seems to be your idea, because you can only “race the shit out of it” with sincerity, not irony. If you’re going to change direction this drastically, you have to mean it. Holding back on it in an effort to preserve some ironic distance from the concept takes all the risk out of the endeavor. That said, I’m in.

Comment by Frank Lazlo — August 11, 2010 @ 9:19 am

10. Just because they’re race bikes doesn’t mean they can’t make a statement. I’m all in, I love the idea, the more outrageous the better. When I checked SM, I expected a surprise. The bigger the better – I’ll be racin’ mine this season in/around Portland. Can’t wait – clearin’ my schedule to focus on cross. The office will have to wait!

Comment by Mark — August 11, 2010 @ 10:07 am

11. Hmm. Don’t want anything gimmicky, which Sascha wouldn’t do, that’s a given. This is an entirely unexpected idea, for sure. While I’ll be “racing the shit out of this bike” in Colorado, I did purchase the SV to be a unique bicycle, something I’d want to pass on to my son someday. Seriously. I’m still committed to the SM scheme, don’t get me wrong. Our trust is in your hands Sascha.

Comment by denvercx — August 11, 2010 @ 10:59 am

12. Reminds me of two things…

1) an old So.Cal wizard roadster I had when I was 19, damn I wish I still had that car!

2) Blue Hawaii, Elvis!

I love the style, personally it isn’t me anymore, hey i’m nearly 40, despite still wanting that car back (probably because I’m nearly 40), but I still love it.

It’s something unique, something stylish, something artistic as much as a bike can be… although SV’s are made for racing, not sure how much love this would get on race day, but then if you put your name down for ‘suprise me’ you get what you deserve ;) Tone it down just a little i say not to ‘tacky’, not too eighties Miami Vice, but then I am sure nothing left Sacha’s hands that he wasn’t happy with. Like in a restaurant, order the Chef’s Special, somedays you just gotta trust the chef, you may just be pleasently surprised!

Comment by chr15 — August 11, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

13. I’m hoping for more of a Crayola crayon style….ya know a little out of the lines? I bet you all think I already know what the SM! is. You are all mistaken. I don’t see them until they are hot off the presses. Love the excitement!!!!!
    ps. it’s a cross bike. Make it crazy sick!!!!!

Comment by Scott Ramsey — August 11, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

14. You have carte blanche Sacha. Go nuts.

Comment by Frank — August 11, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

15. my prediction: lumberjack plaid!

Comment by tyler — August 11, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

16. Yea, go nuts!

Comment by Denvercx — August 12, 2010 @ 7:09 am

17. Seems I’d had a little too much ch’ti last night.

what i meant to say was love the grafitti, not so much the palm tree.

Comment by chr15 — August 12, 2010 @ 11:03 am

18. I like it. I think the year after you may consider going with a Vision skateboard scheme….

Comment by Sean — August 12, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

19. Vision Street Wear style was fun, or your dogs en flagrante delicto.

Comment by jim — August 13, 2010 @ 9:27 am