Jun 23  |  I’m guessing

Posted by , June 23rd, 2010 at 1:50PM

that Sacha and company have been busy making bikes, and you know blogging is funny. I’m sensitive to overstaying my welcome by over-posting and at the same time enjoying an interweb drama free life. Poking people to make content gets silly.

I like to see how guys set up their bikes, I think its kind of a representation of their sensibilities and even in some ways suggests something about how they ride the thing. The bike becomes personal and specific to you once its set-up. I’ll set-up an email account and maybe some of you can send me some shots of your new bikes all set-up and broken in… and I’ll slap some up here.
Can I rant? As I’ve been tickling back into riding the bike post hernia/nerve stuff…. I’ve been doing slow rides up the coast. Just zone 2, not racing, not training, just trying to feel connected again and to heal up…. and I’ve noticed that folks like to jump on my wheel. They never ride up and say hi or introduce themselves or ask if I want company…. and you know… usually I don’t want a stranger on my wheel on a road like PCH because I like life and love time alone on the bike.
Even riding with a handful of friends, folks jump on and get offended when one of us says, ‘hey, we’re just riding easy with some familiar faces and would love to just not turn it into a group ride… Sorry, but if you don’t mind….’.
Truth is, if someone rode up and said, ‘mind if i join you’ or ‘can i sit in’…. they’d be welcomed and asked to sit on back and enjoy the ride (and not pull through). I hope that doesn’t sound snobby because it doesn’t come from that place. It’s really crazy these days out there with all the cars and texting and folks riding sometimes over their heads or with all kinds of fitness and no clue. It just seems to me that we used to approach other riders with some dignity rather than assuming we’re racing each other. The little moments of etiquette communicate that you’re aware enough of what you’re doing that you’re not going to do something that gets someone killed. Self preservation is a lovely thing, and little things like asking-on or letting a group ride by you without feeling like you have to jump on…. these are good things. Riding on some smooth familiar wheels is a state of grace.
Is it just me?

1. Amen, brother, AMEN.

Comment by denver_cx — June 23, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

2. Tru dat. But it has to be taught. I’m still a relative newbie…only riding for about 10 years. I remember thinking that jumping on was THE POINT… and that aerobars on a road bike were a good idea… and that pro-team kit for a team I didn’t ride for was cool… No one told me any different. I caught on by reading, watching and absorbing. Wish someone one would have just pulled me aside with a double espresso and said, “Okay, fella, here’s how it is…”

Comment by RJ — June 24, 2010 @ 9:15 am

3. I’m guilty of jumping on someones wheel when they passed me. It actually ended being a good experience as him and I rode for the next seven miles chatting about different things (luckily the break down lane was wide).

Did I miss the email address somewhere?

Comment by JasonD — June 24, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

4. Truer words have not been spoken, excellent post Noel. Shoot me a note if you have the time or interest. Have some new Ernesto and Dario love to Yak about. Plus some German wheels. Good to hear you are on the mend.

Comment by Ed Kurzenski — June 26, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

5. I’ve ranted about this to the point of being whiner and complainer. It’s an epidemic down here. People with no skills jumping on your wheel, half-wheeling, barging, swerving, then sprinting ahead and chopping your wheel while making split second decisions to avoid the nickel lying on the road then riding through a pile of glass.

Post your email in some cryptic manner so we can send you our action shots and stills. The embargo is lifted soon, so there should be a flurry of photos posted to the interwebs.

Comment by brandon — June 28, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

6. if anyone wants to send me a pic.. put a comment here and i’ll email you….
    not promising i’ll post everything…. kind of waiting for inspiration and timing…

n.

Comment by Noel — June 28, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

7. Noel,
    Good to hear you’re back on the bike! Being a really new guy, I love hearing what you have to say and I’m starting to try and not poke people just to get content… I did take you and a certain eRichie’s advice when I finally decided on a new bike… Thanks!

Comment by Chris in San Diego — July 1, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

8. Hi Noel,

Let us have the email address and I will gladly send pics of my ’09 SSX.

Cheers Nige

Comment by nige — July 1, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

9. Yea, too true. Few weeks ago some asshat jumps on my wheel after I pass him, no words spoken as I pull him along, after about 2 miles we come to a MAJOR intersection and I tend to stop at those as we all should. Then he comes around me, runs the red light and gives me some form of the ‘Lance look’ as if to say yea, I’m leaving you behind. All the while lots of motorists are watching this douche run a light to ‘drop’ me.

Comment by sean — July 2, 2010 @ 9:33 am

10. I too will contribute jped-age if the mood striketh. send cryptic email. decoder ring is standing by….

Comment by crankles — July 9, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

11. i emailed you my addy at the address connected to your comment….
    so a hearty heads-up to you.

noel.

Comment by Noel — July 10, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

12. email addy please

Comment by KS — July 13, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

13. Noel,

I’ve contemplated this phenomena on many an occasion and I can’t really explain it. The best explanation I can offer is cycling is a sport full of egos, and, those egos don’t like getting passed. It’s not just newbies and triathletes that fail to announce themselves. I was out on a training ride, doing some intervals and I came across a lone rider who I recognized as a long-time racer from a local team. As I was just starting a two-minute work interval, I went past him pretty quickly. No sooner had I gone by, when I heard the tell-tale derailleur shift followed by labored breathing (other than my own) as he latched on to my wheel. He held on all the way till the end of the two minutes, when we reached a stop sign at a busy intersection. He came up along side me and proceeded to ask me what my hurry was. I told him I was training, and he asked me again, “what’s your hurry?” Then he passed me on the left and turned right, directly in front of me! Crazy… I’m convinced it was all ego driven. Those are the same guys that won’t even give you a nod if you say hello when you cross paths on a ride. Is it too much to offer up a simple “hello” when you see a fellow cyclist on the road? Where’s the solidarity?

Comment by Gary — July 23, 2010 @ 8:00 pm