May 10  |  In New york

Posted by , May 10th, 2010 at 10:07PM

I started talking with Michael Maharam nearly two years ago about an idea for a museum show featuring independent builders. Michael and his textiles company Maharam are well know and respected in the design world and I sought his advice for the right outlet for such a show. He thought that MAD (the Museum of Art and Design) in NYC’s Columbus circle would be the perfect venue and that he’d like for us to work together on bringing such a show to life.

Fast forward 20+ months, a super talented group of Architects, Graphic designers, Metalworkers, copywriters, Photographers/ filmmakers, project managers,  thousands of email, a handful of trips for me to the Big Apple and atleast 1 very strained phone conversation and the show is opening…. Tomorrow!

This is the front and back of the promotional cards that went out.

I am proud to have been able to involve some of my framebuilding heroes who just by virtue of watching them as crafts people, business people and pioneers of material and methodology, I’ve found my sense of values as a builder and businessman.

The builders featured in the show (Mike Flannigan from ANT, Richard Sachs, Peter Weigle, Jeff Jones and Dario Pegoretti) are a small slice of the greater framebuilding community. Each of them represent their own unique take on the bicycle and (in my opinion) they do what they do better than anyone else in the business.

I have a lot more to say and look forward to posting pics of the bikes, the display, and the events to come in the next couple of days.

For now, check out this piece featured in today’s International Herald Tribune  and this from the museum’s website for more detail.

xoxo,

p.s. If anyone wants a hard copy of the promo card, give me your address and I’ll throw a stamp on one and get it in the mail. It’s well made and worth having as a beautiful image/ bicycle memorabilia

1. Sounds like a great show. I’ve been looking for an excuse to get back to NY and maybe this will be it.

I’d love a hard copy of the promo card. Scott should have my address in the system.

Cheers,

Rudy

Comment by RudyV — May 11, 2010 @ 9:33 am

2. DO I want a card? is this a trick question?
    d) all of the above!

Comment by crankles — May 11, 2010 @ 9:54 am

3. Want – please. You guys have my info.

– Brandon

Comment by Brandon — May 11, 2010 @ 10:09 am

4. Maharam=hot!

Comment by Noel — May 11, 2010 @ 10:30 am

5. Love a card too- maybe we can toss it into the box with the SV crosser and save you some money.

Comment by Eric F — May 11, 2010 @ 11:03 am

6. Count me in for a card – Scott, has my info (or i can just swing by and grab it)

– Tim G.

Comment by Tim Goode — May 11, 2010 @ 11:04 am

7. I was just in NY visiting my mom and sisters, I guess I’ll have to come on back up by August. Be sure to check out the Highline, it is really nice.

Comment by tyler — May 11, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

8. A promo card would be great! A trip to New York even better!

Comment by Chris — May 11, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

9. Sacha,
    Looks GREAT!!!!!
    Can not wait to see the show.
    Is the opening private or to the public?
    SC

Comment by sean — May 11, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

10. do please send a card to me, i’ve been a fan of the works Maharam has been doing with some of the biggest name in the design world.

Comment by shen — May 11, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

11. would absolutely love a card!
    I’ll be at the show tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Comment by Chin L. — May 12, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

12. [...] more also on Vanilla Bicycles blog Speedbloggen.com as seen on [...]

Pingback by Check out the Bespoke show at Museum of Arts and Design « Bike Blog NYC — May 13, 2010 @ 7:51 am

13. Would love one!
    Oh, I wish I was in NYC!
    I’ll have to go visit the sis soon.

Comment by Mike Yak — May 14, 2010 @ 8:08 am

14. Sounds like an event not to be missed – stuck in SLC, perhaps a card is the next best thing.
    1027 Denver Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
    Thanks in advance.

Comment by SLC Matt — May 22, 2010 @ 10:02 am

15. I would love one of the cards if you still have some…
    Congrats on the show.
    Wish I could get there to see it.

Comment by Jayme Halas — May 26, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

16. Would appreciate a promotional card on the MAD exhibit. Will be in NY before the show ends and will make it a top to do.

Thanks.

David Harvey
    201 Donaghey Avenue
    Conway, AR 72035

Comment by Dave Harvey — June 10, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

17. Made it to the exhibition, managed to combine it with a work trip over from Europe. It was excellent, seeing work from probably from some of the best in the business as well as probably two of my favourites – Sacha and Dario. All I can say is get there if you can!

Comment by Nige — June 26, 2010 @ 10:09 pm