Mar 24  |  RED PINK BLUE CREAM

Posted by , March 24th, 2010 at 11:11PM

Rapha’s design sense, their tasteful branding, Beautiful color palettes, their story telling… it’s all great. They continuously find new ways to connect with cycling public and pluck the heart strings that folks didn’t even know that they had. Both Rapha and Vanilla have wanted to work closely on a project for several years. We’ve been holding off until the right something special came along and I’m happy to say that this is the year.

Starting this cross season we’re expanding on our decade old Vanilla/Speedvagen cross team to include Rapha as title sponsor. The Speedvagen-Rapha team will focus on a full national schedule this year with 4 pros and their mechanics on the road September through December. I’ll be traveling to work for the team about half of the time and Scott will likely hit a couple of weekends, too.

I’ll share complete details in a couple of weeks, but wanted to show some pictures now. This is the new Speedvagen Team Issue Cross Machine (flying the 2010 team colors). The first several shots are from NAHBS and show the cross team display and kit (thanks Carlos!). The rest were shot today before the bike was disassembled to be shipped off to it’s pilot. Pardon the adult language, but I fucking love these colors together:

Notice the cross specific stem with internal brake routing. This is something that we’re making with Edge Composites. The production version will be available to the masses shortly. Maybe we should have a trade in policy for clunky machined cable hangers…

xoxo,

p.s. I know that the mannequin in the first photo looks kind of soft, but as the one that dressed him let me assure you the he is r-i-p-p-e-d

1. I think it is great that there is a Speedvagen-Rapha team, IMO. Both have an appreciation for the beauty of cycling. I enjoy looking at the pics and films on the Rapha site. Its what riding your bike is all about. Nothing wrong about looking good at what you love doing.

Comment by RayA — March 25, 2010 @ 7:46 am

2. Is that the new seatpost for the ’10 SV roads?

Comment by KS — March 25, 2010 @ 9:06 am

3. yes sir.

Comment by Sacha — March 25, 2010 @ 9:24 am

4. This is so unfair. Quit making things better dammit!

Comment by crankles — March 25, 2010 @ 9:44 am

5. I’m loving this paint layout. As well as the colors.

So for Embrocation – they are a sponsor for your team and they still have their own team? Seems complex, like embro.

Comment by Brandon — March 25, 2010 @ 10:35 am

6. LOVE this color scheme. Any chance we’ll be able to order it next year?

Comment by MikeT — March 25, 2010 @ 11:22 am

7. Thanks, Brandon.

I’ve worked closely with Jeremy from Embrocation on several projects (last year’s team kit, etc.)and sponsorship of the Speedvagen team was part of that close relationship.

The Embro team is in full effect, though.

Comment by Sacha — March 25, 2010 @ 11:48 am

8. Thanks, Michael. I think we will keep this scheme and color pretty exclusive to the team. We can expect future schemes to be inspired by this one though, cause I’m really digging it.

Comment by Sacha — March 25, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

9. handsfukcindown the best complete graphic package i’ve ever seen on a bike. love the painted hubs. love the punch from the colors and stripes together, the lines, the punctuation. love the chainstay graphic treatment and clustering the sponsors there. altogether looks like one bad motorfinger.

Comment by andy a — March 25, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

10. end gush. end worldrocked. end thereisagod.

anyone else left just a little inspired by this? dang bro.

Comment by andy a — March 25, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

11. last little bit i swear:

this is the bike you ride hard and gently put away wet, sloppy and roached. above a handcast gold shrine with candles, flower petals, loose gunpowder, bourbon, and dried blood. and knives. and bombs. and teddy bears.

Comment by andy a — March 25, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

12. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Yuji Uchiike, TOKYO Wheels. TOKYO Wheels said: すごいコラボです。乗ってみたい!RT @ifraphajapan: http://bit.ly/9ARyU3 Rahpa-Speedvagenクロスバイク.2010シーズンの新チーム・マシン.日本にも上陸するかは???エッジのカスタムクロス用ステムに注目.いずれ商品化される予定. […]

Pingback by Tweets that mention RED PINK BLUE CREAM « Speedbloggen -- Topsy.com — March 25, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

13. This color association makes me think about a kind of “rugby’s french flair” design…if you know what I mean…No ? Ok, I know, I am french…
    beautiful bike, anyway.

Matth, from France

Comment by Matthieu — March 25, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

14. Sign me up for that stem.

Comment by Chris — March 25, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

15. F-ing Speechless….
    Can we assume that if we had our road stems painted this year that ours will incorporate that graphic design. Please say yes….

Comment by Jason P — March 25, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

16. One word. Rad.

Comment by RudyV — March 25, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

17. stamped steel cable hanger on a speedvagen. really?

Comment by charlie — March 26, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

18. Yep.

I’ve always raced with this hanger and it has always functioned flawlessly. It isn’t as high zuit as some cnc’d versions and I love the idea of improving upon the stamped version, but I’m just not sure how to…

And truth be told, I like the blue collar simplicity of them.

Comment by Sacha — March 26, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

19. Jason,

My plan was to use this graphic on the stem that edge is doing for us, cause it is a true speedvagen branded part, rather than another brand’s stem that we are simply putting color on… what do you think? I agree with you, though, I like the look.

Comment by Sacha — March 26, 2010 @ 11:21 pm

20. RAD

finally some context on that kit/colors. really well done.

so where is the roster? mike miranda for sure. looking forward to fall.

-cru

Comment by matt — March 26, 2010 @ 11:54 pm

21. Sorry if this is an obvious answer but are these available for purchase by the public? In other words, can someone buy a “team” bike?

Comment by sygyzy — March 31, 2010 @ 10:31 am

22. At this point the paint scheme and the skinsuit will be kept exclusive to the team. Maybe down the road though…

Comment by Sacha — March 31, 2010 @ 5:40 pm