Mar 18  |  Learnin’ Out Loud.

Posted by , March 18th, 2010 at 2:21PM

I learned something new online. There’s a way to solve that age old problem of not wanting to have to wear clean bibs. All you gotta do is rock your undies. Now, I don’t know how the underwear itself functions to keep bibs clean… or why a guy with 10k invested in his bike can’t pony-up for some more shorts… but I do know I’m trying it and reporting back to you. Actually, I’m deconstructing it. I like washing my bibs but hate cleaning my undies… so…
*jazz hands and out.
Too mean? I hope not… if you’re out there and reading this, Imma get you with a little quote from Charlotte Perriand, “Too much hygiene can kill you”… except your bibs. Wear clean bibs.
Noel.

1. dude…wow…dude….wow….clean bibs are essential…dude…wow.

Comment by Justin — March 18, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

2. Again? Really?

Comment by Chris — March 18, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

3. That was an entertaining thread until it got shut down.

Comment by Jason D — March 18, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

4. With any luck Noel will make this a weekly (daily?) column. Between different pairs of undies, different angles, lighting etc. there is just a ton of potential here.

Comment by Sacha — March 18, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

5. No one ever mentions the sticker in the bathroom.

Comment by Noel — March 18, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

6. Chris there are far worse things on the Internet than a guy wearing a jacket and spandex shorts with clean under wear over the top of the spandex.

Oh, and the sticker is classic. I remember buying stickers like that in the back of BMX magazines. I think I still have one that says “If it’s too loud, You’re too old!”

Comment by Jason D — March 19, 2010 @ 2:33 am

7. Noel – no one ever mentions the sticker because we all envy the sticker. And I don’t know what’s more disturbing: that I know what your underwear looks like or I know what toothpaste and toothbrush you use.

Comment by Brandon — March 19, 2010 @ 6:22 am

8. One is truly the loneliest number. Trying to be cool on the internet is tough and the sticker…right back at you.

Comment by Chris — March 19, 2010 @ 6:47 am

9. Chris… we’re just having harmless fun essentially looking at ourselves (and the fanciful Vanilla kit. Yikes, I just used we instead of I). I do totally love the Three Dog Night reference…. and I’m sorry you’re not having a good time with it.
    Everybody doesn’t always laugh at the same things. I hate pickles. Its kinda like that… we all have that thing and some folks just hate strange little dudes in their bathroom mirrors in their manpanties and kit.
    I’ll give you that for sure.

Comment by Noel — March 19, 2010 @ 8:32 am

10. I’m willing to entertain your points of view on the Vsalon but some things are best anonymous. It would be a shame for this blog to be hijacked by your sense of humor instead of Sacha’s bikes.

Comment by Chris — March 19, 2010 @ 9:18 am

11. well at least give pointers on how to shave your legs or something.

Comment by tyler — March 19, 2010 @ 9:19 am

12. It seems there is more than one Chris. I posted the first comment but not the others. Although I have to say I agree with my namesake… I’m gonna sign off of this comment thing on the bloggen after this post and you guys can have it. I was encouraged when the post was taken down. I thought that making fun of a new guy with some questions was classless on VSalon, but it’s a forum and you’re at the mercy of the moderators.

I come over here to see how the speedvagens are coming and to see what’s new. Not to further expose myself to innane juvenile jabs that are a mean-spirited joke at someone else’s expense. It’s still classless. Those who were in on the conversation elsewhere know it is a continuation of that. Others may just think it’s more senseless non-speedvagen content that has been put up and find is humorous. If it works for them, that’s cool. It doesn’t for me. See ya…

Comment by ChrisD — March 19, 2010 @ 10:33 am

13. Everybody doesn’t always laugh at the same things, but I laugh at Noel’s postings.

Comment by stephen — March 19, 2010 @ 10:44 am

14. Maybe vanilla should introduce an interview process to decide who gets to hook up with their bikes? I’m sure if they could talk they’d appreciate the consideration shown by the sack of flesh and hair straddling them.

(Ok ok it’s been a long week at the end of a few long months)

Comment by badger dave — March 19, 2010 @ 10:54 am

15. Noel, please continue to call me out when I do/say something silly.
    I can take it. If others can’t laugh at themselves, especially over
    something as funny as underwear… wow, life isn’t that bad for us is it? Let’s roll.

-gee

Comment by Gee — March 19, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

16. Noel,
    Dude, that’s funny. Thanks for keeping this stuff light and entertaining and not being afraid to make youseself a part of the joke.

Jonathan

Comment by Jonathan — March 19, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

17. wow, the guys who share my name need a little dose of lighten up. who hasn’t learned a thing or two from an occasional well placed barb? noel, keep the funny shit up. i especially like the self depracating flex and cod piece placement. absolutely and deeply hilarious.

Comment by chrisr — March 19, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

18. Um…. Noel… can I have my underwear back. I have a date tonight. With a woman.

Comment by Matt — March 19, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

19. this is all a conspiracy by the commando coalition to thwart underwear sales.

Comment by TK — March 19, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

20. so there’s this guy who doesn’t want to wash his shorts. that’s not funny? that’s just noob question? sincerity has boundaries but apparently stupidity has no limits. and if said noob doesn’t think this rib at him is funny (’cause the question was so invincibly stupid that we’d expect it from a palin) then he needs something more severe than a joke at his expense. as for the sincerely-and-not-funny here defending said noob, laugh. at something. please.

i’m waiting on my SMvagen. rode the ‘cross bike today up the ski mountain back roads. rocks my world.

Comment by dbrk — March 19, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

21. Well, it’s all in good fun, but I go to builder’s blogs to see the work, not follow insider roadie jokes.

Comment by Eric — March 19, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

22. Gents,

Speedvagen is many things. At it’s core, Speedvagen may be about riding hard, training hard, building the meanest race bikes we can, etc. All of that is worthless though, without the ability to laugh at ourselves and laugh with our friends.

Have a good weekend. Shake it off a bit. Come back on Monday and let’s talk about something that were stoked on.

Someone send me photos and a story about their day on the bike, or the bike that they’ve been riding for the last 15 years that still has DT shifters that they are replacing with their new SV. Seriously going from only ever riding DT shifters to riding Di2 and edge wheels. Holy fcuking shit that’s awesome, right?

This is a place that we can show the different facets of where Speedvagen lives and comes from. Noel is one of those places and he represents well, but he is only part of what Speedvagen is. Let’s see who you are. You have my email address…

xoxo,

Comment by Sacha — March 20, 2010 @ 12:22 am

23. Hope to have a good story or two (and maybe gratuitous photos of a well-used bike) after Battenkill this weekend. Certainly going to be the most epic race done on the vanilla. If it serves me as well as the cross vagen did this past season, I should have something good to share. Wish me luck!

Comment by Sean — April 7, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

24. Copycat. That was my idea!

Comment by Greg — April 7, 2010 @ 5:21 pm

25. That’s fcuking awesome. I’m looking forward to hearing about it, Sean.

Comment by Sacha — April 7, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

26. Sean, send me pics and I’ll post them. Please follow my personal tip about racing: results don’t matter as much as inhaling when photographed and using the proper amount of baby oil on your legs to make them look muscley. Also, a true roller never gets photographed near fat people. Timing is everything, Facebook is forever.
    Seriously though, drop me a note when you get some good dirty shots.

Comment by Noel — April 7, 2010 @ 8:55 pm